BECOME A MEMBER

Join Our Mailing List
Email:
For Museum Info Only


APPARATUS
OTHER LOCATIONS

BACK TO COLLECTIONS

Old Station 30

1921 Seagrave
1923 Stutz Ladder
1924 REO
1930 Seagrave
1937 Seagrave

 

 

1924 REO Obenchain - Boyer
Possibly Engine 31

 

Clearwater ยท Hynes

1024 REO

In the foreground is the firewall and fuel tank of old Engine 31. In the background, resting on the seat, is a photo of an LA County REO in service.

Of the four different makes of apparatus first purchased for the fire protection districts that eventually would form the Los Angeles County Fire Department, the REO Obenchain-Boyer rigs were the least expensive and thus the least powerful. They were purchased for the less affluent districts that could not afford more expensive engines. We suspect our REO was purchased for the Clearwater-Hynes district (Engine 31). We hope its identity will be confirmed during restoration.

Seven REOs were purchased during the first two years after the fire protection districts were formed. They served in the following districts: Walnut Park (Engine 24), Puente (Engine 26), Temple (Engine 27), Flintridge (Engine 28), Baldwin Park (Engine 29), Artesia (Engine 30), and Clearwater-Hynes (Engine 31). These engines actually were the product of two companies. The chassis and running gear came from the REO company of Lansing, Michigan (REO stood for the initials of the company's founder, Ransom E. Olds, who was also the namesake of the Oldsmobile). The REO Model F chassis was then sent to the Obenchain/Boyer company for addition of firefighting equipment, including a Hale 350 gpm pump.

During World War II, due to a shortage of parts, the four-cylinder F-head REO engines were replaced with six-cylinder Chevrolet powerplants. The REO in our collection is in need of total restoration. When the time and funds are available to begin the restoration, we'll have some important in-house expertise. CLAFMA president Paul Schneider and his brother Howard have already restored a 1922 REO pumper.

We also had the opportunity to observe in 2000, as our then Vice President, Jim Page, restored a 1924 REO chemical/hose wagon (the City of Monterey Park's first fire apparatus).